20 June 2007

The subject I've been avoiding

This weekend we scatter my sister's ashes. The plans are piling up like snow.

Tomorrow my brother-in-law and niece arrive. My nephew and his wife and daughter arrive in the middle of the night, my eldest sister on Friday.

My nephew Johnson and I are making Saturday's meal. We have Friday pencilled in as a marathon cooking session. He is a chef by trade and I love to cook, so this is a labor of love and of keeping our mind off things.

I talked to my brother, who had moved heaven and earth to get access to the private beach where my sister wanted to be scattered. It's a long story, but we grew up there and now it is locked and gated and Not Open to the Public or anyone else. Without his calling and working miracles, we would have had some major trespassing to do.

I told him I wanted to be at the ashes scattering but I also wanted to be home at my folks' house so they wouldn't have to do any prep for the afternoon gathering.

He said "No matter what, I'll make it so you can do what you want to do. You just tell me what you need."

I could hear in his voice that he had Much Love. That he knew how important this all is to me, that he wanted so much to make it right.

My heart busted open. I have such a fine, decent family that they humble me. How did I get so lucky?

They're not a demonstrative bunch but they know how to do right, and that's what counts. As A Course in Miracles says "Everyone teaches, and teaches all the time."

********

In other news, my URL is blocked in China. Thanks, you commie bastards, cutting me off from a billion potential readers. No wonder my stats are so low.

You can test whether your URL is blocked at Great Firewall of China.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Suebob. That is the family you deserve, and although the circumstances really and truly suck, it warms my heart to hear how wonderful everyone is, because that's what life is supposed to be about. Much love to you.

(Also, random aside, that China thing is mostly wrong, I think. I have friends who read me in China while they were adopting, and there were no problems. Take heart!)

Anonymous said...

Suebob, I've been MIA and so have missed the events leading up to this, but you'll be in my thoughts over the next coming days. xoxoxo Oh, and PS, if you saw the size of my ass, you'd feel much better. But thank you, a million times over, for the compliment.

Anonymous said...

It must be such a comfort to have them all Suebob.
I'll be thinking of you.

super des said...

You've got a great family.

ps - my regular blog AND my jewelry blog are both blocked. I don't think that's right.

meno said...

That's very sweet about your brother taking care of you. Very sweet.

Slackermommy said...

This is my first time to your blog. I don't know the circumstances of your sister's death but I'm so sorry. How difficult that must be for you. Your brother sounds like a real sweetheart.

Dawn said...

I think you should whisper to her that you've gotten blocked by the commies.

If I were your sister, that is the type of thing I would want to know.

Much peace and love to you.

Mandajuice said...

Your family sounds fabulous. I envy you.

And that China thing says I'm blocked, too, but I know my brother reads me daily from his apartment in Shanghai, so who knows how accurate it is.

VenturaMom from said...

I hope you hear her laughing as the wind takes her away.

Anonymous said...

Your family sounds wonderful. I wish you much strength and peace this weekend.

Suzanne said...

I agree that they are the family you deserve, and I hope that you find much comfort in them through this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be thinking of you this weekend.

Also, I will be going to China to kick ass while thinking of you ;).

LittlePea said...

Mine was blocked too dammit!

On a more serious note-I agree with you. Anyone with a family who loves them should consider themselves lucky. I hope your gathering is a peaceful and comforting one.

QT said...

I agree with dawn - your sister would want to know about the China debacle.

I will be thinking about you this weekend. I hope it is everything you need it and want it to be.

Day Dreamer said...

I've totally missed out on having a brother. He sounds wonderful. You are so blessed to have him!

Walking gold is he!

I'll be thinking of you this weekend, too.

Day Dreamer said...

P.S. I am blocked as well.

Whodathunk!

Jhianna said...

Many internet hugs this weekend.

And your brother does sound like a treasure.

Back to top