07 November 2006

Missing out

Once upon a time, I lived in a small college town. I always shopped at the Safeway and I always went to the same checker.

Kirk was friendly and efficient. And cute. Way cute. So what if his line was a little longer? It did a girl's heart good just to bask in the glow of his ultrawhite smile for a minute or two.

Eventually Kirk quit the grocery store and opened a little business across the street from where I worked. On the first day they were open, I went in to see what it was all about and I was impressed by the clean, shiny smoothie bar.

"They could franchise this place," I thought.

I visited Kirk and his co-owners often to get massive, tasty smoothies. I wanted to flirt with Kirk but I didn't. First, he intimidated me with his overwhelming cuteness, and second, I got a gay vibe from him. This does not mean he was or is gay - it just speaks to my tendency to label any man who is cute, clean and well-dressed "probably gay."

His business was a success. How much of a success?


Making-smoothies-for-Oprah-on-the-Oprah-Show kind of successful.

If I had it all to do over again, maybe I would have tried flirting just a little.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap...no kidding.

You should have flirted a lot more!

=)

Anonymous said...

But, at least, do you get discounts?

:D

And, yes, that's a big big success!

Smoothies are healthy...

Heather B. said...

you could still be friends.

Gah, who am I kidding? Dude, that sucks.

Peevish said...

Gay as a goose! As a gay goose, that is. You forgot to mention the original name for the place: The Juice Club. That fairly screams "gay".

ecogrrl said...

Oh, ouch!

Anonymous said...

That is typical "hindsight is 20/20 vision. From now on -- follow your instincts!!! My jaw dropped. You're like, so, totally famous by association!!!

Lynnea said...

You just skipped over 5 degrees and went straight for 1! Cool story.

Anonymous said...

I hope all women use the label "any man who is cute, clean and well-dressed is probably gay" as the standard.
Woohoo, more women for me. Many, many more, ha,ha..

Anonymous said...

Whoa! That's amazing!

Perstephone said...

Cute and a smoothie man? You can't beat that!

claire said...

bwahahaha! oh wow, that's awful. lesson learned, though: flirt with all small store owners that are cute and have franchise potential. got it.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Jamba Juice. Love it love it love it when we travel! Wish they were here in our area ....

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is cool! Does he still know you? I would love to know someone like that! None of my friends have been so well known!

Mignon said...

That's very cool. It's nice to know JJ came from a Safeway checker's wildest dreams (well, maybe not wildest - that might be a different sort of establishment).

I love smoothies, but they give me a pain in my esophagus and brain freeze.

Anonymous said...

Jamba Juice!! I LOVE ME SOME JAMBA JUICE. I am so grateful that it made its way East, finally. Smoothies - yay.

And damn. Hindsight 20/20 and all that, but really: damn.

super des said...

I am pro-Jamba Juice. And pro-cute guys. When I have the two together, I'm a happy des. So go buy some smoothies with Mr. Stapler and forget about "what could have been."

Unknown said...

I love those. They are my fav.

I wanted to make sure you saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNs7QMeV7E

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Damn I hate when we miss the boat like this. We could be mad rich right now.

SUEB0B said...

Heather - yes, he still knows me - as well as he knows everyone who went through his checkout line in 1988 LOL

Back to top