18 December 2006

Pray for me

Today is the first day of my new Situation At Work.

The building is being remodeled, so the side door, for the next month or so, will be the front door. The side door is usually an emergency exit. Conveniently enough, it is also right behind my desk.

So each and every day, 300 people will be coming in and out my door all day long. Between entries, breaks, and exits, that is only about 1000 door slams a day. Did I mention how sensitive to noise and people I am? And how quiet my little area usually is? Just wondering.

I don't even have it the worst. Our security guard Andres is stuck at a tiny table in a corner of the stairwell, windowless, in an area about 3 feet by 3 feet.

So pray for us. Of course you will find out how it went.

11 comments:

jess said...

Good Gawd! That would drive me batshit. Seriously. I hate people near my work space - I'd have to quit.
Have you thought about a Taser? That might cut down on the traffic.

Anonymous said...

Oh that sucks. I used to hate a lot of noise and traffic near my desk at work and would sometimes have to restrain myself from getting up to tell someone to stfu.
Good luck. At least it's not permanent right? And you'll get a little break over the holidays.

lizgwiz said...

That sucks. Can you wear earplugs?

Anonymous said...

Get a really strong smelling air deodorizer and wait, no, then you'd have to smell it too. Uhm, wow, out of ideas here. Grin and bear it, Stapler.

-R- said...

Oh no! And poor Andres! I hope the situation doesn't last very long.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. That doesn't sound like it will be conducive to productive work days.

One word: iPod.

super des said...

Flame thrower. You just have to get used to the smell of burning coworkers.

Anonymous said...

ergh. I'm cringing at the thought. that would be one version of my own personal hell.

ergh.

Anonymous said...

I bet you and Andres can get together on this one as a team. He can taser gun every other person who walks in your door. That will cure his boredom and get rid of half of your door-openers.

See? It works out for everyone!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd. That's miserable. I'm so sorry.

Suzanne said...

Bose headphones. They block out background noise in the most amazing way, according to Husband, who flies a lot.

Good luck.

Back to top