08 November 2007

A Veteran's Day Wish

To me, the best thing about blogging is the community that develops.

I feel all alone and screwed up, yet when I muster the bravery to write a truthful blog post about just what a mess I am, people come out of the woodwork to tell me that I am not alone, that others feel just like I do.

It makes my life a lot richer and more satisfying, knowing that I am not an outcast but a struggling little human just like everyone else.

Today I found a blog by a soldier who got a brain injury during military service. He got a big piece of shrapnel lodged in his head, and his recovery has been rough on himself and everyone around him.

I noticed that he has very few comments. Can you do me a favor and go over and introduce yourself? Even if you are a lurker on my blog, please don't lurk on his.

Linky love would be great, too. This man stood up for our country, and I feel like the least we can do is honor him by reading his story and by telling him he isn't alone.

Thank you.

9 comments:

LittlePea said...

definitely!

FENICLE said...

I did. Thanks for linking us his way. It sucks that our country has failed these men & women who've given so much for us.

QT said...

What a hearbreaking story. And what is worse is that he is just one of so, so many.

Dawn said...

Things are always bright where you are SueB

RoseCovered Glasses said...

We have a military veteran friend who was honorably discharged during the Vietnam era. He served in the US Navy while having dual citizenship (Canadian/US). He was born in Canada and his family moved to New York when he was a child and became dual Canadian and US Citizens.

After discharge my friend worked in the US for over 3 decades, paying US taxes and Social Security. When it came time to retire and apply for his pension he was informed that the US Department of Homeland Security had revoked his US citizenship and did not recognize his Canadian citizenship.

The Social Security Administration will not begin his pension payments until his citizenship issue is resolved. He has been trying to work this matter through the VA, his local representatives in government (congressional level) and directly through the Social Security Office. No one seems to know what to do, who should take action and who has responsibility. The DHS will not reply to his inquiries. Any ideas?

For more details see:

http://rosecoveredglasses.blogspot.com/2007/11/help-for-us-navy-vet-without-country.html

Suzanne said...

Suebob, you are such a wonderful person to do this.

ecogrrl said...

I left a comment and will link to his blog once I have my new one up and running...which could be awhile. If it takes too long, I'll add him to my old one, as it's still in use. :)

sarainitaly said...

Hi - I am so glad you posted this. I have been trying to spread word on him as well. I have been posting a lot about him on Huffington. I hear him reaching out, and feel so helpless. It truly is so heartbreaking. I wish so bad that he could get the help he needs. I first heard about him during the whole Rush Limbaugh phony soldier crap, and have been reading his blog since, and wrote a post about him as well. I feel so helpless here in Italy. Thank you for getting people to reach out to him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that link, SueBob. I saw him on countdown and was very impressed by him.

Back to top