20 August 2006

Six Degrees of Mr. Stapler

Mr. Stapler copied me in on this email to a friend in Modesto, where Mr. S. grew up:
James Marsters [he was Spike in "Buffy",(here's a link to his website) ] was once an employee of mine. He and his [then] wife Lianne, were living in Seattle in the mid-1990s [because of the cool theatre scene] and he did phone sales for a business I co-owned with a fellow ex-Modestan located on Pike Street. He seemed creepy and slick to me. He went on to much fame playing creepy and slick characters. So I was right.

Timothy Olyphant ["Seth Bullock" in HBO's Deadwood series Deadwood website] went to Standiford Elementary School in Modesto. He was in the same kindergarten class as my younger sister. She used to talk about this kid in her class, whom she called "Timmy" or "Timothy Elephant." Apparently, she had quite a crush on him in kindergarten, which just goes to show that there is no substitute for good taste.
Who knew Mr. Stapler was so close to greatness? I might be even more impressed had I ever seen either of the shows in question.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timothy Olyphant is amazing, very charismatic and a great actor. If you get a chance to watch Deadwood on DVD, you should do it!

SUEB0B said...

It's the lack of a TV that is hampering me in this, Teebs.

Anonymous said...

It was like the time in band camp... if you weren't there, it won't make sense!

super des said...

Holy monkeys... I'm from Fresno, Modesto's big brother. So is Kevin Federline. And Cher. And lots of other people.

Anonymous said...

Hu-what??? No tv? Okay...I think I need to go lie down for a moment.

noncommon said...

you got three more through me. but i'm not telling who. will give hints
#1 used to have her own sit-com
#2 consciencous actor - part of the 'new rat-pack'
#3 motion picture director
what the hell am i doing here in kansas city?

Anonymous said...

I don't watch "Buffy" but "Deadwood" is great. Especailly if you like the word cocksucker. They really say it a lot.

Stephanie said...

"Deadwood" is an argument *for* television. Last night's episode was the best hour of television I've ever seen. It's very deep & rich, like an excellent novel. If you ever get the opportunity to see it, please try. :)

Mom101 said...

Oh man, my friend worked closely with Tim on Go! and I beeeeeegged to be introduced. No such luck. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

TV's turn your brain to mush. But if you like mush, Deadwood rocks. By far the best show on TV right now.

Anonymous said...

Is there any way I can convince you to borrow a TV and DVD player from someone so you can watch all seven seasons of "Buffy"? You won't regret it, I promise. Please?

Christina said...

Wow, he knew Spike from Buffy? That's pretty cool!

Sadly, I have had few celebrity run-ins, other than going to college with Wally Szerbiak (not sure I even spelled that right - he's a basketball player).

Anonymous said...

He knew Spike! Wow. I'm just a little geeked out right now.

Nut's mom said...

wow. it is a small world

SUEB0B said...

Now Wally Szczerbiak - THAT impresses me. Even if he was a f***ing Celtic!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/wally_szczerbiak/index.html

Back to top