24 August 2006

Year 32 and still PMSing

After 32 years of having my period 13 times per, you'd think I'd be better at this. But no. Sometimes I feel so toxically hormonally polluted that I think I'd appreciate having someone cart me off for a few days of forced confinement.

Today was one of those days. Half the time I felt like an angry poodle and the other half I felt like a mollusc without a shell. Either frothing at the mouth and attacking people or hiding in a corner, wondering why everyone kept poking at me - nothing in between.

At work I barely restrained myself from screaming at two people after they made what I felt were idiotic remarks to me. I was literally chewing my lips to keep the words in so I might avoid getting fired. The dialog box in my head sounded like one of those hip-hop songs on the radio where every sixth word is blanked out.

I really felt like I was slipping about 3 pm. I wrote a nasty email, then re-wrote it and re-wrote it. I looked at it forever (about 5 minutes) and finally deleted it because I realized that sending it would not be good for me and my career path (whatever that is).

Then Mr. S called and invited me over to meet the new roomie. The request overwhelmed me. That seemed like an impossible task - to meet someone new while I felt like I was losing my mind and just wanted to go home and eat bags of Trader Joes Banana Crisps while sobbing into a hankie. I almost started crying just thinking about it.

Thank God for Evening Primrose Oil. I went over to the drugstore and spent my $9 on a bottle and 45 minutes later everything was fine. Works every time. Better living through chemicals. Yes.

Linkateria - what I do for real fun.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya, sister. I just got mine today. I was feeling like a raw nerve on a windy day. And persecuted. I always feel so persecuted. It's so absurd how a few hormones can turn reality and rational thought on it's ear.

Does EPO really work? I've had it recommended to me several times over the years.

noncommon said...

mine have been getting worse and worse. just yesterday i was in such a severe funk i got absolutely nothing accomplshed - sleeping most of the day. mind spinning down. down. down.
i made a list today, however to cheer myself up. check it out. it might do you some good too.
oh yea, throw a migrain in the mix too. being a girl bites sometimes!

super des said...

I'm so glad I take medicine to stop that. Plus I get really really sick if I don't. Better living through chemicals indeed!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. Now, what exactly do you do with the Evening Primrose Oil!?!

SUEB0B said...

The EPO is great. It is capsules you take 3 times a day. I dunno what it does, but it works to make me feel like a normal, rational human again.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Yes girl, I so loved this post. I know what you look like when you're like this and it's friggin scary. I remember being afraid in SLO...you are a force to be reckoned with. But it's part of your charm and I love you. I really hope this didn't piss you off....scared

Wanda said...

Not chemicals, dear...FAT! Better living through FAT.

EPO contains essential fatty acids that help brain chemistry (ergo, hormones) and cellular integrity (the cell walls are made of fat).

So remember, my sisters, FAT is your FRIEND.

Anonymous said...

The thing about being chemically crazed is you can realize that you're looney and that realization doesn't help.

Sorry you're in the throes, Pumpkin.

Hugs and kisses.

Toastedsuzy said...

My brother and his step-children have developed a whole emergency drill for dealing with my sister-in-law's PMS. It's fun to watch them scramble when she comes in and says she thinks she might be PMS'ing.

My bro's all, "Sara, get a glass of cold water--COLD water, Sara. Michael, Pamprin, stat. Pull that ottoman over here, Joe....Somebody turn the goddamned television down!!!"

It's a beautiful sight.

Me, I don't suffer from PMS. My son does. And my boyfriend and any other poor bastard who crosses my path when I'm pre-menstrual. But not me. I got it ALL under control.

I might give the EPO stuff a try, though. Just to see if it can make me even more completely calm and rational than I already ALWAYS am.

I'm going to go cry in the shower now.

TS

Lisa said...

Wow. I was like that last week Tuesday while packing for our trip. I actually said to my son, "DON'T POKE THE BEAR, SETH!" My hubby heard that and he and the boy stayed as far away from em as possible the rest of the day. heeheee.

Evening primrose oil. Sounds like it works. Very interesting...

Mom101 said...

Oh geez, thanks for reminding me that it comes 13 times a year and not 12. Now I'm really bummed. Or is it my PMS?

Anonymous said...

Ok, so here's the question I can't seem to find the answer to. I found primrose oil supplements, as it was recommended to me. But I can't figure out if I'm only supposed to take them during my "moments" all all month long, like with my vitamins? This holistic stuff? I know nuthin'

Anonymous said...

Evening primrose, really? I bought some root thing (Kava Kava and something else) and mostly I've felt nothing. NOTHING.

SUEB0B said...

Suzy - I wish I had a PMS team LOL.

Lisa - I think I will use the Don't poke the bear line.

Liz - I live to inform!

Michele - I only take them when I actively have symptoms. Like shaking my fist in rage.

Back to top