06 May 2007

Like a Mastercard commercial

My friend from church, Dee, is 89 years old. Her 95-year-old sis lives just 75 miles away, but because neither of them drive, they hadn't seen each other for 3 years.

Dee often talked of how she wished that she could still drive so that she could go down and see her sister. I filed that away in my memory bank. When I bought my new car, I called Dee the next day to tell her that we needed to make that trip.

New Car: $15,000
5 gallons of gas: $17
Seeing this reunion: Priceless



*********
I am looking for a BlogHer 07 roomie. I am staying at the W. It is already booked. It is around $200 a night, so your tab would be half that plus whatever you eat from the mini-bar.

My room will not be the party all night room. It will be the flop-down-and-hide-your-head room when you need to retreat from the madness that is BlogHer.

But there will be Tanqueray. And tonic. And limes. And internet access.

If you need a reference, last year I stayed with Elizabeth from Table for Five. She can attest to the fact that I am kind of nice AND I bring presents.

In the case of more than one offer, I will decide who gets the awesome privelege of bunking with me by a Secret Formula given to me by an old gypsy woman. Or by whoever gives the best bribes.

*******
My sis still isn't out of the woods. Thanks for your continuing thoughts, hopes and prayers.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew if I wanted to go...blah! Although I might not be good roomie material, what with all the drinking and such ;).

Anonymous said...

Hi Suebob. Remember me from last year's BlogHer? I could use a roommate this year. Rita from Surrender Dorothy roomed with me last year and can attest that I am quiet and the sort of person who will go to bed early and watch elephant documentaries on National Geographic. Yes, I did jump in the pool with my clothes on last year, but a) I blame the free wine and, b) I intend to make that a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. What do you say?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Average Jane are a match made in heaven! And I can attest that the Tanqueray and fresh lime is the BEST Friday afternoon, oh-my-god-i'm-freaking-OUT drink EVER. I'd like to put myself down for one, please, Suebob.

P.S. How is Laura?

Anonymous said...

I can also attest to the fact that Suebob gives gifts. She brought me fresh mint from her garden at the last BlogHer!!

I'd love to room with you...but I'm not at all interested in going this year. Don't know why. (May be the new man in my life?)

super des said...

I am taken as a roomie by at least 2 others, but I may stop by for Tanqueray!

meno said...

I am roomated, but i hope to meet you whilst i am there.

How is your sister?

Mignon said...

Funny, now that I'm not actively blogging any more, I'm actually interested in going to Blogher. I probably won't go, but your quest for a flophouse friend really made me want to raise my hand and say Pick Me!

Major Bedhead said...

I wish I could afford to go. Alas, not to be this year.

That was a seriously nice thing you did, getting those two sisters together. What a great picture.

Continued good health vibes for your sister. I hope she gets well soon.

super des said...

I love that you did that for them.

LittlePea said...

What a great picture. I wish I was going:o(

Hope your sister's doing better.

Christina said...

Were I not bringing the entire family, I'd need a roommate, but I think my room will be completely full with husband and two children.

But you did remind me that I need to get moving with making those reservations. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wish I was going...really I do. You sound like a great roomie. What a wonderful gift to bring those two sisters together! You've made an impact on two lives that will last for the rest of their lives. Thinking about your sister.

Lost In Splendor said...

How sweet is that?! Oh my goodness. That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard of. That is one of those good deeds that causes a ripple.

Btw, I can here via your comment on the OMSH post. Very well stated and once again I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. It's so tricky! :) Thanks for bringing another perspective.

Good luck finding your BlogHer roomie! Every year I think about going, but I am waiting till I make more online friends so I will know people.

Anonymous said...

Where's your FEED??????? I'm trying to add you to my Google reader and it no findy feedy.

jaded said...

Sisters. That picture really says it all. I hope your sister is on the mend.

Back to top