19 September 2007

Even better than a dead whale

I did something today that I bet you didn't do. No, not the thing with the trampoline and the Chinese men's diving team - that is so last week.

No, today I harvested bananas!

Yes, I am lucky enough to live in one of the tiny little sections of the continental US that are semi-tropical enough for banana culture. My 2 banana trees are the Cardaba variety, also known as apple bananas. You don't see them in stores because they are short, fat, and bruise easily.

I took some to work and my Hawaiian co-worker almost cried with happiness. Apparently they are a Food From Home for her, something she never gets. THAT was cool.

I let the better part of 2 bunches (by which I mean bunches of about 60 bananas, not "hands" like you see in the grocery store) rot on the tree, simply from not noticing they were ripe. I mean, "Keeping track of banana ripeness" is just not on my daily schedule, usually. From now on, I promise to be more diligent.

********
Today I also went to the 99 cent store for some Halloween decorations. If you want to know where all the local crackheads hang out, apparently it is the 99 cent store. I saw 2 people doing the full on chicken-head thing, a lady who could have had a walk-on part in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and a guy wearing a turquoise spandex mini-dress. He was there the last time I went, too.

But I got some cool decorations. My favorite is a sign that looks like it is carved from stone that says "Asylum." Of course it is going up at work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

banana banna bo bana.... that is cool.

asylum eh? well, I need that for my current job. :)

Anonymous said...

We had a "tropical" area of our yard in Portland, complete with towering banana trees that would never ever ever fruit. Kinda like the Siegfried and Roy of the banana world. Very showy and such, you know. I'd love to see a picture of it, if you think of it. Sounds very cool.

Anonymous said...

Bananas. I need a banana tree. It fits perfectly with the state of mind in my household.

Amy said...

"I saw 2 people doing the full on chicken-head thing, a lady who could have had a walk-on part in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and a guy wearing a turquoise spandex mini-dress."

Would you believe I miss scenes like the one above? Here it is all Stepford Mommies and farmers.

And Baby Jane? One of my all-time faves.

Anonymous said...

We have fruit trees too and I HATE when I don't get a chance to harvest before they fall and get rotten or eaten by bugs/animals.
I'd love a banana tree though.

Back to top