28 May 2006

Sneaky fun

The next door neighbors have a darling girl who is about 4 years old. She is the light of her father's life. When he comes home from work, they spend hours playing ball out in the back yard.

A lot of balls come over the fence. I usually toss them back, but one day a couple months ago Goldie popped this soft plastic one before I could sent it back. I looked around for a new one but couldn't find a matching ball, until today, at the swap meet, I found the exact replica - soft, purple, with tiny bumps all over. I spent a dollar for it.

I came home and tossed it over the fence. A few hours later, I heard squeals of joy. "Mi pelota! Mi pelota!" Apparently after a long absence, the purple ball had magically reappeared.

I got to hear happy little girl laughter for about an hour as she played with the ball with her mom. Hands down the best dollar I ever spent.

9 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

That's great, I love to read posts like that! :)

noncommon said...

sweet!

super des said...

the best gift of all... a child's laughter.

kudos.

Anonymous said...

well, that's just about the sweetest thing I've read in ages.

so what did you do about mr. staplers doggie?

Cristina said...

Awww. Now that's a great return on investment.

Meghan said...

Those small things are really the most meaningful. Wonderful post.

Heather said...

So sweet of you!

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

That's sweet Bob.

Joyce B. said...

This made me smile today. Thank you for posting it.

Back to top