17 December 2007

Waiting out the dark

I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and I know that many of you do, too.

This time of the year is so dark and the nights are so long that I literally count the days until Yule, the solstice, so we can flip around and begin to head toward the light again.

About 80 percent of the blogs I read are mom blogs, and I can see that there is a lot of darkness and sadness out there in the momosphere as women struggle with holiday preparations, family stress, grief and regret.

I just want to take a small moment to remind you how important you are.

The word "mother" was voted the most beautiful word in the English language. As the article points out, in some form or another, it is usually the first word we ever utter and quite often the last.

When we are tired, hurt, hungry, lonely, we want our mothers. (For some, not their REAL mother, but a good mother, a kind mother, a caring mother).

You are providing something that no one else on earth can provide for your children. There is no substitute for a loving mother. If you doubt that, or even if you don't, listen to this lovely story from NPR about a woman who, as she approached death in her late 80s, finally got to hear her mother's voice.

11 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Thanks for the reminder. I will download this story and listen to it on my morning walk.

Nancy said...

Thank you for this, SB. It made me cry, but in a good way. Sometimes (especially during this season) I really do need the reminder!

xo

super des said...

awwwwww
I'm not a mother, but someday I will be. I'll have to save this post and look back.

Mayberry said...

Thank you -- and thank you for the link. What a beautiful, beautiful story.

Amie Adams said...

That is so wonderful. I may bitch, but being a mom is pretty much my favorite thing.

Blog Antagonist said...

I have been waiting all day for an opportunity to listen to this, and finally did so while eating my lunch. It was amazing. Thanks fo sharing that. I miss my mother every day. She is alive, but lives far away. She is ill, and I'm afraid that one day she will die before I can get home to say good-bye. Mothers are very important people indeed. I'm proud to be one. Does it define me? In many ways, yes. I don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily.

LittlePea said...

Speaking of motherhood, I want so badly to have like-7 kids. No joke. I'd settle for just one. I'm hoping next year....until then I have to make do with my 5 nephews.

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

Now I'm feeling guilty that I didn't let my 23 year-old talk me into taking him to happy hour today...

Amy said...

Thank you. I needed this, I really did.

xoxoxox

Lisa said...

I can't wait to check out that link.

THank you so much for this.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for that. I think moms spend so much time making sure their kids and families are doing okay that we often forget to even note that we are that comfort to our children. I needed that reminder today, so thank you.

Andrea

Back to top