12 April 2008

A match made in...well, whatever

I bought a new washer today. An old washer. But new. What?

I bought an almost new washer from this wench and her sweet husband.

I had to. My old washer was just one I got in a pinch, cheap and used, and it had never been quite the same since that dime got stuck down in the Important Working parts.

For the past couple months it has been leaking and making this noise that sounds a bit like the cement truck Bossy and I saw on the streets of Santa Monica going GROOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRR except the cement truck was in an alley we could walk away from and my washer is in the utility room.

So anyway, Craigslist.

I found a nice washer that was practically new for a good price. After a bunch of emails and phone calls, the people and I finally got together so I could check it out.

Suebob So why are you getting rid of it again? You said it was almost new.
Woman I just couldn't stand it.
Guy (rolls eyes)
Suebob What is wrong with it?
Woman Look! Look at this!
She goes over to where new washer is and opens the lid and the cabinet door above it.
Woman The old one opened on the side, so when the lid was open, I could NOT open the cabinet door at the same time. See how this one opens? I can have the cabinet door open at the same time. Much better.
I look at the guy. He looks at me.
Suebob So does the new one work better or hold more laundry?
Guy(softly) It's the same size and actually the old one works better.
Woman It does NOT work better if I can't open the lid and the cabinet at the same time!
Suebob So I'll take it then.

Wow. Wench got a new washer solely so she didn't have to shut the lid to open the cabinet. I gotta get me some of that kind of chutzpah.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Important Working parts: Isn't that something you see the gynecologist about?

Congrats on your new (agitating) baby! May the two of you have plenty of good clean fun...

Anonymous said...

Whereas I will live for a decade or more dealing with a fiendishly inconvenient workaround for a situation like that, and it won't occur to me how annoying it was until other circumstances solve the problem.

Miss Britt said...

Thank God for spoiled wenches - they make the bargain world go 'round.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Wow. Someone is a little high maintenance. Her loss!

Suzanne said...

Man, if only I had a washer, I wouldn't care how it opened.

Anonymous said...

I snagged a washer and dryer from Craigslist a couple of years ago - aside from having to move them ourselves, they were great, practically new, and a good price. Or maybe I hadn't realized how crappy our old ones were until I got new ones.

New appliances: now there a fun way to spend some cash. New fuse boxes? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

Even as I would totally think I died and went to heaven to even have my very own washer/dryer, given the resourses, I must admit that that woman makes total sense to me. ;)

Back to top