29 June 2008

Weekend Update

The labyrinth project is going well. I walked four different labyrinths in four days.

I am enjoying the meditation time. It takes about 20 minutes to walk a 11-course labyrinth slowly in and out, and by the time I am done, I feel light and mentally refreshed.

I can't sit and meditate. I am a bad, bad meditator. I have tried it and I fall asleep ALL the time. Or else I think about how I am not meditating right. I'm sure that is a sign of my spiritual ineptitude or something - which is what I am always thinking while I am trying to meditate.

The walking helps me to not be so mentally ill and self-judging about trying to meditate. While walking, I just let go and don't get so caught up in "Am I doing it RIGHT?"

*********

My boss got promoted out of our department (out of our whole company, actually since we work for a wholly owned subsidiary), which is a great move for her.

A co-worker whom I admire very much will be taking on some of the former boss's duties for now, but we have no idea how the management structure will end up being. I don't think they will replace the boss's position, which will mean both more self-management and more freedom for us.

At least two very excellent things are going to come of it: I will get to work at home two days a week instead of just one. With gas prices being what they are, anything that lessens my 55 mile daily round trip is thrilling.

But the best part is that as my co-worker inherits the boss's cubicle, I will be moving in to hers. And my people, for the first time in my working life, I will have something I have always wanted: my own window! Birds! Sky! Trees!

I can hardly believe my good fortune. Right now, my cube door (opening, whatever - there is no door) faces the fire exit and the first aid box, so about 50 times a day, someone comes to see if it contains tylenol (no, it does not).

The other thing about the new cubicle is that it is totally private - you can't see into it from the aisle. I don't know what I will do with my newfound luxury - work in my undies? Practice hula? Anything could happen back there and no one would know. Yippee.

*********

I decided to take a class this fall just for fun, but nothing in the continuing education catalog grabbed me. I had it on my desk for weeks and kept flipping through it and was considering a salsa class (the dance not the food LOL) but somehow I neglected to do anything about it.

Then the catalog for the local community college, one of my many alma maters (srsly, I have over 100 credits of COMMUNITY COLLEGE), got here and I decided to see if they had any conversational Spanish classes. It fell open to a class called "Spirituality and Health" and I suddenly KNEW I had to take that class. Dunno why, just had to.

The class discusses different forms of meditation and spiritual practice, issues of death and dying, and other interesting stuff.

So if you want to find me on Tuesday and Thursday evenings throughout the fall, I'll be in room G-23, even though I'm not exactly sure why I am there. I am really looking forward to it.

*******
Of course my 80s teen movie alter ego is:

Who's Your 80s Movie Icon Alter-Ego? Find out @ She's Crafty

Can't imagine anyone else. I got this quiz from Eden at So, Anyway.

14 comments:

super des said...

Of course, I'm Ferris Bueller.

Congrats on the window!

Neil said...

The labyrinth project sounds very intriguing. Do you find yourself getting into a meditative place as you do the walking? Are you doing alone, or with your two friends? Are you sure it isn't the heat making you dizzy?

Anonymous said...

hell yeah! I even looked like this...

Veronica from Heathers!

Glennis said...

Hang in there. i am going thru a departmental reorg, myself. Still don't know what it means.

Anonymous said...

I'm Lloyd D, too. No shock there.

lizgwiz said...

That class does sound interesting. I have trouble meditating, as well. I don't fall asleep, I just get frustrated that I can't keep my mind "clear." And then of course the frustration completely counteracts the point of meditating.

SUEB0B said...

Neil - My mind is definitely calmer as I get into the labyrinth walk. I always feel good afterward.

So far, I have always walked alone except in Ojai, where I was with 2 friends. We had to accommodate each other a bit by squeezing by each other at times, but it was fun to be with other people. I have heard kids love to play in the labyrinth pattern, too. It's kind of a natural for them.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the move up to a window! (And yay also for the boss's move, and the easier breathing that will afford you, kwim?)

I'm Mark from Pump Up the Volume. Only without the cockring.

Mrs. G. said...

I need to take up a hobby that helps me not be so mentally ill-I love how you put that.

Suzanne said...

congrats on the stuff at work.

Christina said...

The shuffle at work sounds like an improvement. Congrats on getting the window office! You must be important now - I never had a window anywhere I've worked.

Anonymous said...

Yo have a 55 mile a day commute? That would make me crazy. Not my current Wellbutrin & Xanax kind of crazy but rather a rubber-room and restraints kind of crazy.

That must be where you practice our mutual vice (flipping people off lol)

So glad you'll be working from home another day. That totally RULES.

klasieprof said...

I totally agree with the meditation thing..have literally tried for YEARS..until last fall, my life LITERALLY changed.
I had finished reading "The Secret"...a lot of hokey crap, but some good truth, but FROM that...I found some CD's..that like your class...I just "KNEW" I had to get...from Centerpointe. It literally changed my life. You listen to them, doesn't matter if you fall asleep or not..They have this mumbo jumbo reason why they work...cycles of the brain yada yada...but..wow..if you can....GET THEM NOW.

Major Bedhead said...

I wonder if we have any labyrinths around here - I remember loving them when I lived in England.

I'm Mark from Pump Up The Volume. Which is kinda cool, actually.

Back to top