13 January 2010

Two wheeling

Where have I been?

As Laura used to say "Peddling my ass around town."

By which she meant "Riding a bike." Oh, that Laura - what a prankster.

One of my new year's resolutions was to start riding my bike more. It's about time: I bought it two years ago - from an 80-year-old guy who was getting a new, different bike - and it has been sitting in the shed gathering dust ever since.



I was inspired to start riding by two women: Madness Rivera, who loves her bike so much she had it tattooed on her body, and, even though she is a body-dysmorphic daughter of Satan who needs to be pelted with flaming cheese blocks, Tall & Lucky Kristin, who I guess has some good ideas about fitness and hard work and blah blah blah.

Last weekend I took The Sofa Bike to The Bike Depot and they gave it a tune-up, installed my cool bell and adjusted the seat for me.

I rode Sunday and yesterday and today. Here are my rules: I can go as fast or slow as I want. I can stop whenever I want. But I have to go a little farther each day. Just a little.

I've been having fun, even getting *gasp* sweaty. THAT never happens. I haven't gone very far or very fast - Lance Armstrong probably does more mileage before he gets out of bed than I do on a ride, but Lance Armstrong isn't a big fat computer addict with a love of almond croissants, either.

The other day I got laughed at - LAUGHED AT - by a regular cyclist (one with a titanium bike and a Wonder bread colored bike jersey) who passed me on The Sofa Bike and said "Ha. That'll work."

Yes, indeed, Sonny. It will work for me.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

I am so, so proud of you. And I am fit AND amazonian, and if I could shitkick the dude who laughed at you I totally would.

I have to get on a bike, it's been years. I think maybe you've just inspired me.

the new girl said...

Oh, I HATE a fitness douchebag like that one.

You keep peddling, sister.

lagata said...

Oh.My.Gosh. What a jerk...

I am by far not a serious rider but I enjoy it. I too was inspired (and continue to be) by Madness :o)
I love it when I get to a corner where we have to stop and there is a crowd of bikes. The uber-biker, the commuter, and us regular folk :o)
I have yet to come across someone who actually had the balls to mock me out loud - which is fortunate because then I would have likely said something back - haha.
Good luck with the bike - good for you - and keep on biking!

Kizz said...

FUCK THAT DUDE.

That is all.

Except, you are awesome.

Elvie said...

You go girl. Gave up the bike 10 years ago. Walking for me. Tacoma drivers try to run over you just for fun.

Jessica said...

I actually got a little weepy, because the last time I rode a bike, a car went by and someone OINKED out the window at me. So to hear that a fellow cyclist LAUGHED at you makes me one pissed off MF. If I see him, I will kick his skinny ass.

And, you go, girl. I don't know if I have the nerve to ever ride again.

Ericka said...

i would have been tempted to shove a stick in his spokes.

screw him. go you!

Back to top