10 December 2006

Life on the farm

It was a stellar day. The weather turned rainy and grey shortly after church, so Goldie and I stayed warm and cozy in the house.

I finished a freelance article and did some housework. Made roasted turnips and ate them all (I am a weird vegetarian, I know). Made a pot of beans. Watched a DVD. Talked on the phone. Saw my Dad.

In other words, perfect.

In other news, my little banana tree of last year has turned into a vertiable banana farm. I have five fine bunches of bananas hanging down above the dark purple flowers:
Banana Flower Feb 2 06
For some reason, this makes me strangely proud.

The only problem with those strange-looking flowers is that they are not hollow like normal flowers, but solid and very, very heavy.

I have learned from watching them that the big "petals" (which I suppose are technically bracts if you are a botany nerd) flip up to reveal a row of tiny flowers at the end of banana-shaped stalks. Hummingbirds and bees come to drink at the flowers, which drip with sweet sap.

Eventually the purple bracts fall off and there is a row of bananas there that keep getting larger and larger. The remaining flower hangs below the green bananas.

The flowers hang down at head level and one would think they would be easy to avoid getting bonked with, given how large and colorful they are.

Wrong. Only about 100 times so far.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me the flower looks like Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. Maybe you didn't 'bump' your head...maybe he was trying to eat you.

Run, Suebob. Run.

super des said...

I've never seen a banana tree. I like it and I'm very jealous. Unless it's trying to eat you, in which case I don't want it.

Lynnea said...

I had the same thought as chase and super des. Its not you bumping the flowers, they are jumping out at you. My bed does that in the night, all the time!

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! You have your very own banana tree!

I, who has never kept a plant alive longer than a couple weeks, bow down to you.

lizgwiz said...

I (also a weird vegetarian) love turnips, but only raw. Steamed brussel sprouts on the other hand...yumm.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Tally Man, Tally me banana!

Kate said...

How cool to have a banana tree! We just don't have anything cool like that here in boring Ohio. Here, we have to buy our bananas at overpriced organic food stores.

Debbie said...

that is downright lovely, that banana tree.

I would've probably killed myself by now with those leaves hanging down all bonk-friendly like that.

clutz. it's my middle name.

Anonymous said...

How cool is that!! I wish I could grow bananas in my backyard. You just can't do that kind of wonderful in Ohio...

Anonymous said...

What an interesting flower. I like it!

Anonymous said...

Fresh bananas are the best ever aren't they? The weird thing is when you first see that black/purplish flower, you'd think it would be poisonous.

And why is it the fruit bearing tropical trees always drop such heavy stuff? You really could hurt yourself if you're not paying attention.

Anonymous said...

So in the absence of hummingbirds and bees are you drinking the sweet sap. When you aren't bumping your head that is..

Anonymous said...

I love that picture! I've seen some tropical trees like that one at the botanic gardens, but I can't imagine having such a beautiful tree in my yard. Lucky you!

Back to top