14 October 2007

Old friends are the best friends

Stacy did not show me her Red Sox red socks today, though I have no doubt she had them on. She is cool that way.

We go way back. We met when we were in college the first time. Her first words to me were "I have a big bottle of tequila and I live about 3 blocks from here." We were standing in line for an Eddie Money concert, and he was washed up even way back then. We were bored with standing in line after about five minutes. So we went and did some tequila shots. She snuck us back into the very front of the line without anyone noticing, and my admiration was sealed forever.

Today we met in my hometown, Santa Barbara, the most beautiful town on earth today for some tamales and rajas de chile at the famous La Super Rica restaurant. You order at the counter and sit on plastic chairs, but the food is so good that you forgive all that.

Later we went to the art museum and enjoyed the 3 Monets and I fell in that special kind of achy art love with a sculpture by Isamu Noguchi (sorry, you have to see it in person to understand).



Finally, we walked over to the SB Courthouse, quite possibly the world's most beautiful municipal building. My mom used to play there in the 1930's, pretending it was her Spanish castle.

Today, there was an art festival there, with weird inflatable sculptures on the lawn. We looked at them, then went up in the tower to see the view.



Time spent with old friends is so precious and special in a really great way. No pressure, no demands. Just a piled up, shared history of jokes and stories and love.

5 comments:

super des said...

That sounds like a great day. And I love the Spanish tiles on the roofs. We don't have those out here :(

Anonymous said...

What you've written here is the recipe for the perfect day. Mexican food and museums always go together!

Major Bedhead said...

Sounds like a great day. Even better that the old friend is a Red Sox fan. She must be wonderful.


I saw a photographer's work this weekend and one of the shots was of some space in between two office buildings in Costa Mesa. I swore she said it was designed by Isamu Noguchi, but I'm not finding it on the link you provided. I'm going to have to go ask Dr. Google now. NOt that this has much to do with your post - it's just odd that I've heard that name twice in the last 24 hours.

Major Bedhead said...

Ha! It is by him. It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Lest any get confused:
You, Ms Stapler are not a Red Sox Fan-Correct?

Your good friend is also not a Red Sox fan-Correct ?

The Red Sox are on the verge of elimination-Correct.

Yours for Clarity.....

Angel Apologist.

Back to top