15 November 2007

Skyrockets in flight



I met a guy on the plane. He was sitting in my row and as soon as I sat down, I was taken by him. Very tall, very nice-looking.

I liked him because he looked out the window a lot. People don't do that enough. Man has been dreaming of flight for thousands of years, but now we act like we are too cool to look out at how marvelous it is.

Eventually we started talking. He was smart. Had an interesting job. He could talk politics, travel, history. Had no wedding ring. Yessss!

He was charming. How charming?
1. He said "Well, I'm obviously a lot older than you" (He was 6 months younger and acted truly amazed that he was wrong.)
2. He so wowed the flight attendant that she brought him a cup of cashews and a free glass of wine. In economy. Who has THAT happen to them?

So we chatted and chatted as the miles flew by, tra la. Tiny bluebirds were flying out his mouth as he spoke. The sun glinted off his perfectly greying hair.

He leaned over and said "Oh, I want to show you something." Ooh. All confidential-like. My heart beat a little faster.

He pulled out a jewelry box. In it were an amber pendant and amber earrings. I looked at him questioningly.

He said "Yeah, I left my wedding ring at home by accident and my wife called me and accused me of wanting to be a bachelor on this trip. So I got her a little something to show her I was thinking of her."

Smart. And cute. And interesting. And treats his wife well. Figures. Men!

15 comments:

super des said...

That is so utterly sweet.

You should have stolen him away and run off together.

Suzanne said...

You said it yourself: we should look out the window more.

meno said...

All the good ones are married. Or gay. Or both.

Blog Antagonist said...

My husband is that guy. Women love my husband and he is undeniably great. But just remember...they all leave skidmarks in their drawers.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I was so into this story - MY heart was beating faster when you got to the "I want to show you something" part! Damn! Sigh.

claire said...

Oh! So disappointing. I was right there with you saying, "yes!! a nice guy!"

So sad...

QT said...

Poop!

Jhianna said...

Oh, that is sweet. Darn it!

j.sterling said...

what a fucking sweetheart!!!!! omg..that would have made me love him more. lol

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to have a charming travelling companion.
I had an idea for your masthead.
It involves taking a picture of something cobbled together with red duct tape.

debangel said...

((Homer Simpson voice): D'oh!

It figures that "too good to be true" would be more than just a cliche'. Although your seatmate was a lot more pleasant than what I expected from the picture you posted- I was expected a gremlin on the wing, a la "Twilight Zone"!

I think the penalty for a cute guy forgetting his wedding ring be that he has to smooch you and buy you a drink anyway ;) That'll learn 'im.

Julie Marsh said...

Oh my.

Not the ending I was hoping for, but at least you had a pleasant flight. I haven't chatted with a stranger on a plane in years and years.

Anonymous said...

Ah! So close! Sorry ... but at least it was a pleasant flight.

Count Mockula said...

Aw, I physically slumped when I read the bit about his wife. Well, at least you had a good conversation.

TheyDHD said...

Well, crapsickles!

Back to top